|CINEMA PROGRAMMING INTERNSHIP (pdf)
Two focused internship opportunities (though occasionally tasks will overlap). Applicants will be considered for both positions.
• Build database for our library of films, pre-screening and reviewing documentaries that are up for consideration.
Publicity & Community Outreach:
• Edit post-film discussions, panel and special events for broadcast on Maysles Institute Website, YouTube & Vimeo.
Requires an ability to make creative decisions on one’s own and modify content to suit needs of program directors and an organized mind geared towards foundational work in building a film library that will ultimately be accessible to the public. Knowledge of FCP & iDVD. Film Library Database instruction will be provided.
• Lead Maysles Cinema Street and Internet Super-Highway Team to distribute information about upcoming events to local and on-line communities. More than just handing out flyers, interns focusing on outreach expand the contours of our distribution network and help define our promotional materials and public image.
• Participate in the design and production of our monthly calendar and flyers and promotional materials.
Requires interest in exploring the city, identifying and engaging with niche communities and subcultures and communicating our core vision to people in order to build our audience.
Please submit :
• Completed Maysles Cinema Application (questions below)
Incomplete applications will not be acknowledged. Interviews for finalists will be set up after the above materials have been received and evaluated.
• Cover letter in the form of a personal statement of no more than 500 words, explaining why you would like to take part in the internship program and letting us know something about yourself your interests, concerns, ideas.
• Your resume - include a list of relevant skill sets (particularly computer programs and be honest about your degree of proficiency).
• Optional - a link to or DVD reel of your own work in film or a project you contributed to. Limit to 5 minutes.
Submit completed application materials to either:
• [email protected] with subject heading “Cinema Internship”
Direct questions about the internship program or application process to: [email protected]
• Nora Lovotti, Internship Coordinator / The Maysles Cinema / 343 Lenox Ave / New York, NY, 10027
MAYSLES CINEMA APPLICATION:
Please answer three of the five following questions. Answers need not be longer than 300 words, but please be specific. Feel free to include any relevant links.
1. Give us a window onto your world. What are your interests, what’s your scene? How do you think you can advocate for the Maysles Cinema’s offerings in your world?
2. Harlem world. What draws you to working in Harlem and from examining our website, please identify the strengths of our programs that would appeal to a local audience and what community orgs and social sites you would target to build a local audience for documentary film.
3. Hypothetical: The Maysles Cinema is hosting an upcoming series on films about Street Games (double-dutch, stickball, street basketball, etc.) Write a paragraph (no more than 300 words) about how would you go about promoting this around the city and online.
4. Hypothetical: You are opening a public film library: what system would you put in place to allow people to view or borrow films that would insure the safety of your assets?
5. What are your top 5 documentaries?