GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP (pdf)
The Maysles Cinema seeks students with practical graphic design knowledge to present information about events (poster, flyer and calendar design), using the visual riches of the films exhibited at the theater, to cultivate an expanded, non-traditional audience for documentary and independent film.
At the Maysles Cinema, our print materials are key to meeting the challenge of developing a diverse, lively audience for documentary film and discussion - across boundaries of race, class, gender and generation. We, at Maysles, take an “old-school” approach to our visual marketing, designing posters for various films and festivals that function as unique visual works of art in their own right, much as movie posters did in the past. We value originality of approach and consider the designed materials to be an element of our collaborative curation with all the latitude for freedom of expression and proper acknowledgement this implies. The promotional materials produced by these young artists (posters, flyers, surveys) will be showcased in mini-exhibits or become permanent fixtures of the space itself (which functions as a casual gallery).
- Design promotional materials in the form of posters, flyers, website material, calendars, paintings/photos etc. as promotional works of art on display at the cinema
- Practical graphic design experience (firm understanding of InDesign/Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Originality of approach
- Comfort in and with various graphic design formats
- Ability to work with diverse source material
- Ability to appeal to a varied audience with a solid understanding of community outreach
Please submit :
• Cover letter in the form of a personal statement of no more than 500 words, explaining why you would like to take part in the internship program and letting us know something about yourself your interests, concerns, ideas.
Incomplete applications will not be acknowledged. Interviews for finalists will be set up after the above materials have been received and evaluated.
• Your resume - include a list of relevant skill sets (particularly computer programs and be honest about your degree of proficiency).
• A sample of your graphic design work
Submit completed application materials to either:
• [email protected] with subject heading “Graphic Design Internship”
Direct questions about the internship program or application process to: [email protected]
• Nora Lovotti, Internship Coordinator / The Maysles Cinema / 343 Lenox Ave / New York, NY, 10027